Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Product of the Day - Caribbean Jerk seasoning


Let's pretend we are back in Jamaica.....

Actually this is nothing like the Jerk seasoning that I've had in Jamaica, but I really, really like it! I guess you could say it has been Americanized.

It's a dry seasoning mix that I use mostly on fish and shrimp. It would be great on pork or chicken as well. I just sprinkle it on before sauteing in a little oil.

Label ingredients: Sugar, red pepper, thyme, allspice, salt, onion, turmeric. (I'll have to look that one up.)

It's just spicy enough for me, not too spicy for those that don't like spicy, might not be spicy enough for those who do.

Turmeric:
1 : an Indian perennial herb (Curcuma longa syn. C. domestica) of the ginger family with a large aromatic yellow rhizome
2 : the boiled, dried, and usually ground rhizome of the turmeric plant used as a coloring agent, a flavoring, or a stimulant

Stimulant???!!!

No comments: