Monday, October 15, 2012

Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

 
 
 
Wow, it's been a while since I had time or felt like trying something new. My new job is wearing me out! Cooking has been feeling like a chore lately rather than the fun hobby that it can be. But anyway, I finally made the time this weekend.
 
This soup was sooooooo good. I felt like I was in a gourmet Thai restaurant eating it.
 
 
THAI CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
adapted from Fitness Magazine via Pinterest
 
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 large skinlees, boneless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup crushed tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon fish sauce
6 ounces rice noodles
2 cups shredded cabbage (I used the pr-shredded coleslaw mix)
1 cup canned bean sprouts, drained
1/4 cup chopped green onions
 
In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chicken. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink.
 
Dissolve/stir the peanut butter in the crushed tomatoes; add the mixture to the soup pot along with the broth and fish sauce. Bring to a boil. Add the noodles; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the cabbage and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in the bean sprouts and green onions; turn off the heat.
 
Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts if desired.
 
Yield: 5 or 6 servings
 
 
I garnished with cashews since that's what I had on hand and served with some spring rolls (from the freezer department of the grocery store).
 
 



No comments: