Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bourbon Chicken


This is based on a recipe that I found at Food.com. I adjusted a little so that we'd have more sauce, you know, to give the rice some flavor, too. I suppose you can add vegetables into the meat mixture, we just had them on the side this time. This was delicious - sweet and spicy.

BOURBON CHICKEN

1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup bourbon (can substitute apple juice)
1/3 cup light brown sugar

2 tablespoons ketchup

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces

Mix first 9 ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Add liquid mixture, and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until liquid is thick and reduced by about half.

Serve over rice.

Yield: 2 servings

1 comment:

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

I've never cooked with bourbon, but I think with this recipe I'm about to give it a try. Looks delicious!